Bring warmth to your outdoor living this winter with Big Timber’s wood pellet outdoor heater. It requires no electricity, no moving parts, & produces twice the heat!
What is an Outdoor Heater?
An outdoor heater is a device specifically designed to provide heat to outdoor spaces such as porches, patios, or decks. It allows you to extend the usability of your porch or outdoor area during colder months or chilly evenings.
Different Types of Outdoor Heater Options:
There are different types of porch heaters available on the market, each with its own features and benefits. Here are four common types:
- Electric Patio Heaters: These heaters use electricity to generate heat. They typically come in two forms: freestanding or mounted. Freestanding electric patio heaters are portable and can be moved around as needed. Mounted electric patio heaters are fixed to a wall or ceiling, saving space and providing a more permanent heating solution. They are easy to use, require little maintenance, and are suitable for smaller outdoor areas.
- Propane Patio Heaters: Propane patio heaters use propane gas to produce heat. They usually have a tall, freestanding design and utilize a propane tank as their fuel source. Propane heaters provide a significant amount of heat and are ideal for larger outdoor spaces.
- Natural Gas Patio Heaters: Natural gas patio heaters are similar to propane heaters but are connected to a natural gas line instead of using a propane tank. They are a more permanent heating option and require professional installation. Natural gas heaters provide a continuous heat source and are often more cost-effective than propane heaters in the long run.
- Infrared Patio Heaters: Infrared patio heaters use infrared radiation to heat objects and people directly rather than heating the surrounding air. They are energy-efficient and provide instant heat. Infrared heaters are available in both electric and propane options and are suitable for both small and large outdoor areas.
When choosing an outdoor heater, consider factors such as the size of your porch, the desired heat output, the fuel source availability, and the level of convenience and portability you require. Safety features like tip-over protection, weather resistance, and adjustable heat settings are also important considerations.
You may enjoy our favorite blog series, “Vintage Ski Lodge Decorations.”
Wood Pellet Outdoor Heater: Big Timber
The Big Timber Wood Pellet Outdoor Heater is a versatile and efficient heating solution that utilizes wood pellets as its fuel source. Designed for outdoor use, this heater is perfect for creating a warm and cozy atmosphere in your backyard, patio, or any outdoor space.
Here are some key features and benefits of the Big Timber Wood Pellet Outdoor Heater:
- Wood Pellet Fuel: The heater runs on wood pellets, which are a sustainable and renewable source of energy.
- Efficient Heating: The Big Timber wood pellet outdoor heater is designed to provide efficient heating with minimal waste. The wood pellets are automatically fed into the combustion chamber, where they are burned to produce heat. This ensures a steady and consistent source of warmth for your outdoor space.
- Adjustable Heat Output: The heater allows you to adjust the heat output according to your preference. With a simple control panel, you can easily increase or decrease the temperature to create the perfect ambiance for your outdoor gatherings.
- Smoke-Free Operation: Unlike traditional fire pits or wood-burning stoves, the Big Timber wood pellet outdoor heater produces minimal smoke. This is because the wood pellets are burned at a high temperature, resulting in clean and efficient combustion. You can enjoy the warmth and comfort of a fire without the inconvenience of smoke.
- Easy to Use and Maintain: The Big Timber wood pellet outdoor heater is designed for user convenience. It features a user-friendly control panel and an automatic ignition system, making it easy to start and operate. The heater also comes with an ash pan for easy cleaning and maintenance.
- Versatile Design: The Big Timber wood pellet outdoor heater is available in various designs and sizes to suit different outdoor spaces. Whether you have a small patio or a large backyard, there is a model that will fit your needs.
- Long Burning Time: The wood pellets used in the heater have a high energy density, which means they provide a longer burning time compared to traditional firewood. This allows you to enjoy extended hours of warmth without the need for constant refueling.
The Big Timber wood pellet stove may be a suitable choice if you have a larger space to heat, as it can provide greater heating capacity. Additionally, it offers longer burn times and requires less frequent refueling compared to smaller stoves. Consider the size of the area you want to heat and the stove’s efficiency before making a purchase.
What Are Wood Pellets?
Wood pellets are small, compressed particles made from recycled wood waste, such as sawdust and wood shavings. These pellets are commonly used as a renewable and efficient fuel source in pellet stoves, biomass boilers, and some heating systems. They are a sustainable option, as they utilize wood by-products and contribute to reduced reliance on traditional fossil fuels.
We’ve had an indoor wood pellet stove that heats almost our entire home for 12 years now. So, we were very attracted to the option of a wood pellet outdoor heater for our covered porch living space immediately. Having the bags of pellets on hand and all…
You may see more of our indoor pellet stove in the Cozy Ski Lodge Fireplace | Get the Look post.
A $9.00 40lb bag of pellets can be purchased from local hardware stores, big box hardware stores, and local businesses that sell stoves. We purchased five pallets of pellets to heat our home in the winter and will use the same bags for our new wood pellet outdoor heater on the porch. The average 40lb bag of wood pellets will burn in the Big Timber stove for about 3-4 hours.
Christmas Day Assembly
Christmas Day, I opened up the Big Timber wood pellet outdoor stove that my husband gifted us for Christmas. It took about 3 hours to get it all assembled on our outdoor covered porch.
Needless to say, it was an unusually warm Christmas Day for us here in Vermont…
Big Timber Chimney
After putting the stove together, however, we saw that the stove’s chimney was going to be too high for our covered porch. Timber recommends a 3-foot clearance. Therefore, we removed the bottom chimney and just used the one chimney stack, now giving it a larger berth. The Big Timber wood pellet heater comes with two chimney stacks for height versatility.
*TIP: Lowering the chimney stack will reduce the fire’s heat output by 100 degrees per foot when you cut it down. But it’s still sufficient heat, I assure you!
If you’d like to extend the enjoyment of your outdoor space a bit longer into the cold season, a wood pellet outdoor patio heater would be a fantastic addition to any outdoor living space.
Outdoor Wood Pellet Heater Hearth Pads
Timber recommends laying a hearth pad underneath your wood pellet outdoor heater as a fire retardant. We purchased the ZUZU Babe Fire Pit Mat, which is a nice small square-size hearth pad that does not take up a great deal of decking space. It’s a very affordable option.
These hearth pads will also protect your outdoor spaces from any ash, dirt, sparks, etc. Definitely worth it!
Fire Starter Gel
And, we use the Rutland Fire Starter Gel to ignite the wood pellets. Simply squirt the directed amount of gel into the front tray of pellets and ignite the wood pellets with a lighter.
Why We Love Our Big Timber Wood Pellet Outdoor Heater
To be honest with you, at first, I wasn’t so sure about our new Christmas wood pellet outdoor heater when I opened it up Christmas Day… Remember, it was a complete surprise!
- Versatility, ease of use.
- The height of the stove under our covered porch.
- How much would we really use it?
- And, of course, the overall look of the stove.
But after setting it all up and having used it several times now, I absolutely love it and couldn’t recommend the “Big Timber” wood pellet outdoor heater anymore!
Big Timber’s Versatility
The “Big Timber” has two casters for easy mobility and weighs about 70lbs. Making this stove very portable yet very stable. There is also the ability to bolt it to your decking, or you may purchase separately the safety cage.
Can you use the wood pellet outdoor heater on a covered porch?
Yes! I mentioned above that we lowered the chimney stack, giving it the recommended 3-foot clearance. And because there is barely any smoke at all, the Big Timber burns clean.
How much would we really use a wood pellet outdoor heater?
We love the outdoors, and whenever the sun is shining and the wind is not blowing, even in January in Vermont, we fire up our new “Big Timber” stove to enjoy on our covered porch overlooking the mountains.
I especially love the Big Timber stove’s ambiance. With its three-sided fire viewing, it’s quiet, and boy, does it throw off a really nice heat within about a 12-foot radius at 90K BTUs. Grab a chair or stand around the Big Timber with a hot toddy, and I promise you will love it, too!
Big Timber Design
Being a blogger and all, I was worried I would not like the style of the Big Timber stove on our porch. But I couldn’t have been more wrong. I love that it looks professional and industrial with its 100% stainless steel finish, which will change color, acquiring a natural patina over time.
The stove’s mobility really sold me, too, as I can easily move it anywhere on the porch that I like. The stove is definitely not a stationary or fixed piece of porch furniture, making it easy to adjust to any outdoor gathering.
Because pellets don’t “crackle” like wood, this wood pellet outdoor heater, Big Timber, burns so quietly that our Berner, Ella, isn’t even phased by it. She will run away from our fire pit and fireplace, which crackle and have open flames.
Wood Pellet Timber Product Accessories
Another huge benefit, in my opinion, of the Big Timber wood pellet outdoor heater is the variety of stove accessories that you can add to customize your stove even more.
In summary, the Big Timber wood pellet outdoor heater is a reliable and efficient heating solution for outdoor spaces. With its use of sustainable wood pellets, adjustable heat output, and smoke-free operation, it provides a comfortable and enjoyable outdoor experience. Whether you’re hosting a gathering or simply relaxing in your backyard, this heater is a great addition to create a warm and inviting atmosphere.
I’m so glad you dropped by, and if you are new to my blog, welcome! I hope you enjoyed your visit with us today at our Home in Vermont.
Be sure to check out our Home in Coastal Maine, too, where we spend summers and weekends when we are craving a walk on the beach or a visit with old friends.