Have you ever thought about starting a vintage booth business? Here’s what you need to know to get started. It’s pretty easy and so much fun!
I love it all, how about you?
After all, I really thrifted a lot last year…
So the next natural step for me in setting my 4 top thrifting goals for 2022 was to find a vintage booth where I could begin reselling and flipping some of those vintage finds.
*Truth be told, this vintage window booth is a creative outlet and hobby for me and not a primary means of income. I love collecting and decorating and am so excited for this next adventure. So if this is you too, these tips and tricks are for you.
To learn more about the business side of an antique booth visit my friend Joanna over at the Antique Startup who teaches the skills, tricks, and strategies needed to start and run a profitable antique booth business.
What Should I Look for When Choosing a Vintage Booth?
3 Key Elements to Look For When Choosing a Vintage Booth
- Convenient Location | If an antique booth is not convenient for you, you can easily lose interest. And it can become a nusance rather quickly. How far away is it from where you live? Are you willing to drive that distance once or twice a week?
- Great Foot Traffic | Not all antique malls get good traffic, so do your homework! Check in with some of the other vendors, and if there are a lot of booth spaces available that is a clear warning sign.
- Personable Staff / Owners You will definitely want to like the people that work at the antique mall along with the staff and other vendors.
It’s important to look at the contracts and monthly charges of course, but it is all worth it if the traffic is there, you enjoy the people, and it’s all convenient for you to make it worth your while!
I looked at just two locations before I found this window space, offered to me by The Vintage Soul in Manchester, Vermont.
The other antique center had at least a year wait and a very long waiting list. And this window space at The Vintage Soul stole my heart right away, a mile away from our home, and in the heart of our 4 season resort town in the mountains of Vermont.
This space suits me perfectly.
It’s open, airy, and bright.
To say I got a tad lucky is an understatement. I was prepared to have to wait up to a year or so for a space to open up.
It’s been a real whirlwind getting everything ready but I couldn’t be more excited!
You may also enjoy the post, 11 Creative Ideas to Display Your Vintage Collections.
What Do Customers Look for in a Vintage Booth?
I spent this entire week bringing in just the right pieces that I thought our seasonal Vermont shoppers would enjoy. Every town and customer can be very unique. And I have quite a collection of treasures already from a year out “Thrifting with the Gals“.
Here are My 9 Vintage Booth Tips:
- Choose 3 or 4 big ticket items, and make up the rest with smaller vintage finds.
- Showcase each piece as it could be used in one’s home.
- Don’t clutter your vintage booth, but have plenty of merchandise available.
- Make it all accessible for the customer to walk around and touch.
- Supply a stack of business cards so the customer can reach you with any questions.
- Vintage booth shoppers are not like those of us who like to pick. This is important to remember. They want a nice shopping experience and want to be sold.
- The entire booth should be aesthetically pleasing.
- Plan on fluffing and restocking at least every 1-2 weeks.
- Use risers, like stools to stack up your merchandise.
How to Start Selling in an Antique Booth
Custom price tags are a charming way to show how much you care for the items you are selling, adding value to your brand too.
Next, I ordered this custom sign to hang proudly in the booth with my Dabbling & Decorating logo.
Do you have a partner, spouse, or friend who uses your tools and never puts them back where they belong? Then my third suggestion is a “Bag of Lady’s Tools“. I swear by these ever since my girlfriend introduced me to them! I always know where they are and since they’re pink, nobody feels the urge to steal them…
They are perfect to have on hand to hang that valuable picture, fix broken merchandise, touch up dings and dents, etc… Helping to keep your booth in tip-top shape.
SHOP THESE SUPPLIES
The first day setting up was a very long day for sure…
But the owner, Lisa couldn’t have been more helpful and accommodating. And her nickname is MacGyver!
She nicely offered me price tags and a non-smudge pen to use until my new price tags came in and she even fixed a broken wheel on a french market basket that I wanted to show off in my booth.
She has the best candy treats too with an old-fashioned candy counter available in the store!
Love the beautiful flower touches she added to my booth too.
You may also enjoy the post JUST 4 BLUE DISHES ON THE 4TH OF JULY.
As this week comes to an end, my vintage window booth is all set up at the Vintage Soul and next week I’ll be adding all my custom price tags, and sign, and starting back out to go “Thrifting with the Gals“.
And if you’re ever in the Manchester, Vermont area stop in and say hello at The Vintage Soul, it is there you will find all my collections in the window. Yeah!
You may also enjoy the post, Vintage Booth Winter Window Display!
I’m so glad you dropped by, and if you are new to my blog, welcome! I hope you enjoyed your visit with us here today from our Home in Vermont.
Be sure to also check out our Home in Coastal Maine where we spend summers and weekends when we are craving a walk on the beach or a visit with old friends.
Please join me as a regular here at Dabbling & Decorating by signing up for my Saturday morning newsletter and never miss an update!
YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY
- A Thrift Here, a Vintage There, and a Valentine
- Dishy Kitchen Hooks You Can DIY in Minutes
- 13+ Best Thrift Store Decor Ideas and Vintage Decorating
- How to Decorate with Old Musical Instruments
- 11 Creative Ideas to Display Your Vintage Collections
- A Vintage Christmas Haul and 3 Holiday Wreaths
- 32 Antique Christmas Decor Treasures to Look for in 2022
- 10 Irresistible Antique Bargain Finds Thrifting with the Gals
- Vintage Market Days Fall 2022 Vermont
- 10 Best Fall Inspired Vintage Decor Ideas